Tuesday, May 8, 2007

My latest completed project!




I'm on a little vacation from work this week, and one of the best things I can think of to do is to just relax at home, watch all the crafting shows on DIY network, and catch up on all of my projects! So I saw this cute project on DIY's jewelry making for a beaded bridal headband/tiara. It was really cute, except I'm not getting married any time in the near future, so I decided to adapt it for myself. :)

Here is the link on the DIY website for the full instructions. http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/cr_jewelry/article/0,2025,DIY_13762_2838472,00.html
I don't know why, but the website says to clip off the headband teeth. On the show, they specifically were talking about how helpful those little teeth are in lining up your wire. I wanted to use a thicker plastic headband than the one they used on the show, and I happened to find one that I've had lying around since the 80's! Being that my headband is "vintage," it was missing a few of the teeth. I will say that it was much easier to wrap and line up the wire in the parts of the headband that have the teeth. So I would recommend ignoring that part of the instructions! I also skipped adding beads to the backside of the headband. Mine is obviously not going to be a tiara, so I just put the beads on the top, and skipped all of the obvious tiara parts.

In all, this was a really easy adapted project, and I completed it in one evening while watching a movie! I got a few tubes of mixed seed beads at my local craft store, used some silver tone 24 gauge wire, and I was all set! I of course used black beads since I wanted it to look nothing at all like a bridal tiara, and I think it will look perfect with a little black dress!

Please be sure to take a look at my Etsy shop and MySpace! www.urbanconstruction.etsy.com and www.myspace.com/urbanconstruction

No comments: