Sunday, May 13, 2007

Polymer Clay


Anyone who has looked at my Etsy shop can see that I do a lot of work with polymer clay. (If you haven't - be sure to check it out! www.urbanconstruction.etsy.com). In case anyone is interested in working with polymer clay,
I have a few tips and favorites after years of working with the stuff.

-Sculpey clay comes in three varieties. Sculpey I, Sculpey II, and Sculpey III. These three clays are kind of like Goldilocks and the Three Bears for me.
-Sculpey I is ok to use if you need to, but it tends to be a little too dry and crumbly for my taste.
-Sculpey III is the extreme opposite, and extremely soft. I have a hard time working with this one because it is too soft. It leaves fingerprints too easily, and is hard to shape without it sticking all over your hands. The more you knead it, the more sticky it gets.
-Sculpey II is my favorite by far since it is obviously in between the other two.
-I don't seem to get what the draw is on Premo Sculpey. When I've gotten it, it was way too hard and crumbly. They offer better colors, but I usually just use the reguarly colors and mix to get my desired color anyway.
-Fimo clay is similar to Sculpey III, and too soft. It also leaves a colored residue all over your hands and workspace! Not fun.
-The only color of the Sculpey that I have found to stain my hands temporarily is the red for some reason. Just use care when using this color, and be sure not to stain your surroundings.
-Sculpey glaze in the gloss finish is my favorite. I used to use the satin finish, until I recently discovered how beautiful the gloss finish comes out. It is super shiny and glossy. I am going to have to reglaze all of my inventory!

No comments: